In the end of 2016, Manulife Hong Kong contacted Tigerspike to revamp their innovative app called MOVE. The app that would be able to track every move or steps from your wearable device and sync to your smartphone. The more steps you have, the biggest discount you will get for the insurance premium.
The current app is have been there for a year. We began scheduling to have the discussion with product owner, Manulife product team, business and marketing team.
What we found was that the previous version of the app is buggy and we discovered that many users struggled with navigation within the app to operate the features that they wanted to use.
UNDERSTANDING THE OBJECTIVE
We began by having a discussion with the product owner and other stakeholders to get to know what they expected and their objective of this app.
Manulife Hong Kong wanted to be perceived as an innovative insurance company and hope to be able to attract a younger audience.
ManulifeMOVE’s target demographic audience is male-female 18–35 and is the person insured and policy owner of an eligible plan. Active or want to be a more active lifestyle.
USER ACCESSIBILITY TESTING
To test the current user experience, we are conducting the interview and asked them to perform a predefined task such as:
- Create account
- Sync between wearable device and phone
- Sync health data on the phone with Manulife
- How to track the progress
One thing that we noticed right away was that the app rewards and tracking progress is complicated. The UI design is misleading and it’s been so difficult to sync between device and the phone through the app.
REDESIGN PHASE ONE
We start by revising the information architecture. The new flow is to tackle the biggest problem of the app. Tracking and sync.
We take a lot of ideation from other health track app in the market and adjust it to our needs. We rapidly prototyping our vision in Sketch App to show the client of our concept without put a lot of detail in technical possibility.
Version 0. Very early concept to showed the client our vision
BACK TO SQUARE ONE
Once we had the big picture, we began putting together our ideas to more detailed wireframe with goals for the redesign.
Right away we know that we wanted to make it easier for people to setup account and read their progress since that is the most important thing to achieve their goal and get a reward
After we done with the wireframe, we began setting up of internal interviews. We conduct a meeting with each of internal product teams to get keep align with the business objective and customer needs.
We reviewed it with our developer and made sure that everything we outlined was in scope and possibilities.
When everything is on the good track, we put together the design concept to test. UAT and interview with their potential uses. We showed the result from an interview and the concept to Manulife stakeholders and get the feedback at the end of the sprint.
Some of the stakeholders was weren’t 100% convinced of the designs we showed them and the others gave us critical feedback and happy with the progress.
After all the process, sprint review, sprint retrospective and discussions with Manulife IT team. We began to adjust interactions, navigation, and visual design for the app, making sure everything work perfectly.
We learned a lot about the redesign process and best practices for moving from design to development. Here some key points:
- The UX and UI need to be flexible enough to adjust the technical barrier that sometimes appears from external
- Participation of product owner in the build phase is critical. Be able to discuss and find solutions together with product owner in the same room is beneficial not just for the scrum team but also for the internal stakeholder.
- Build fast break fast, with rapid prototyping we can test different ideas and validate.
The client was very happy with the result and build fully functional product including the Android version. The campaign was published in early 2017. With the tv ads and billboards.
TV Commercial (Hong Kong)